TCPP01M12 - USB Port Protection IC for quick migration to Type-C Connector
The TCPP01-M12 from STMicroelectronics is a Microcontroller (MCU) companion IC that works with the 20V/100W USB Type-C Power Delivery controlled integrated with ST’s STM32G0 and STM32G4 MCUs. It can protect 5V only connections managed by general-purpose MCUs such as STM32 and STM8 devices. With the help of TCPP01-M12 port protection, designers can easily migrate small electronics from legacy USB Micro-A or Micro-B interconnects to the latest Type-C style. This satisfies all protection requirements for USB-C connections. The TCPP01-M12 and MCU are enough for the complete protection of equipment which reduces the cost and space requirement.
Features of TCPP01-M12
- Overvoltage protection on VBUS, adjustable up to 22 V, with external N-channel MOSFET
- 6.0 V overvoltage protection (OVP) on CC lines against short-to-VBUS
- System-level ESD protection for USB type-C connector pins (CC1, CC2), compliant with IEC 61000-4-2 level 4 (±8 kV contact discharge, ±15 kV air discharge)
- Over-temperature protection (OTP)
- Operating junction temperature from -40°C to 85°C
- Include defective power-adapter protection to prevent equipment from the faulty power supply
- Integrated charge pump to control the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET (which features a lower RDSON than a P-channel MOSFET)
Note: Complete technical details can be found in the TCPP01-M12 datasheet given at the bottom of this page.
As an additional feature TCPP01-M12 enters into zero-power operation when there is no cable is connected which increases battery life and makes innovative use of the USB PD programmable power supply(PPS) for enabling fast charging. The IC also integrates the driver circuitry for an external N-channel load switch to save bill-of-materials costs. Moreover, leveraging PPS support and the inherently low on-resistance of the N-channel switch, compared to the P-channel MOSFET typically used, minimize overall heat dissipation.
The TCPP01-M12 simplifies the modernization of industrial PCs, mobile POS terminals, medical devices, wearable, wall chargers, automotive infotainment equipment, gaming terminals, drones, audio/video systems, gateways, computers, and peripherals.
The TCPP01-M12 is in production now and available as a QFN12 device at $0.319 for orders of 1000 pieces. For more details about TCPP01-M12 visit the product page on the official website of STMicroelectronics.