New Radar Sensor Chipset Solutions with 4D Imaging Radar to Identify and Classify the Surrounding Vehicles
NXP Semiconductors has introduced new radar sensor chipset solutions that can surround vehicles in a 360-degree safety cocoon and allow the imaging radar to identify and classify the vehicles. The NXP radar processors and 77GHz transceivers of the solutions allow the carmakers to meet the NCAP requirements for corner and front radar applications. It also delivers 4D imaging radar that expands the radar’s capability measuring range and speed to include direction, angle of arrival, and elevation measurement.
The new suite of radar sensing solutions can be used in any level of Advanced Driving Assistance (ADAS) technology as it provides critical scalability and design re-use, hence the carmakers can meet their needs of diverse brand and model portfolios. This flexibility enables performance tailoring for the appropriate use case, reduces R&D effort, and can speed up time to market.
NXP is enabling the ongoing evolution of radar with 2 new solutions, the NXP Imaging Radar Solution and the NXP Scalable Corner and Front Radar Solution. When the new purpose-built S32R45 radar processor and the TEF82xx transceivers are combined, it provides the fine angular resolution, processing power, and range required to not only distinguish between small objects in the distance but also to accurately separate and classify vehicles and vulnerable road users like cyclists or pedestrians in crowded environments.
The NXP solutions also provide scalability for long-range front radar and advanced multi-mode use cases like simultaneous blind-spot detection, lane change assistance, and elevation sensing. The new S32R294 radar processors combined with the NXP TEF82xx transceivers provide a scalable solution that helps carmakers address both NCAP and advanced corner radar as well as long-range front radar sensor requirements in an effective way while allowing tailoring for individual use cases.
Features of S32R45 Radar Processor
- Quad Arm Cortex-A53 @ 800 MHz, flexible lockstep
- Triple Arm Cortex-M7 lockstep pairs @ 400 MHz
- SPT 3.1 @ 600 MHz with integrated DSP and multithreading
- 8 MB SRAM with ECC
- DDR3L-1600 with 16-/32-bit support and LP-DDR4-1600/3200 with 16-/32-bit support
- 2 x SAR ADC 16-ch.
- 4x MIPI CSI2
Features of S32R294 Radar Processor
- Dual Power Architecture e200z7 32-bit CPU for application processing
- Dedicated safety processing e200z4 cores in lockstep mode
- Signal Processing Toolkit (SPT 2.8) for optimized radar signal processing acceleration to maximize performance/ watt
- Designed to meet ASIL D ISO26262 Applications
- Cryptographic Services Engine with secure boot and advanced security algorithms
Features of TEF82xx Transceiver
- Wide Frequency Range
- Wide Bandwidth
- High Performance
- Very Low Power
- Scalable Applications
- Flexible Host Interfaces
- ASIL B Functional Safety