STM32F0 MCUs offer real-time performance and low-power operation for cost-sensitive applications
High-Speed VEMD8081 PIN Photodiode for Improved Bio Sensor Performance in Wearables and Medical Applications
Vishay Intertechnology’s high speed and high sensitivity VEMD8081 PIN Photodiode enables improved biosensor performance and slim design for wearables. Housed in a compact rectangular 4.8 mm by 2.5 mm surface mount device package with a 5.4 mm2 sensitive area and low 0.48 mm profile, this new device offers an increased photocurrent of 33 µA with enhanced sensitivity for visible light.
The device offers 15 % greater reverse light current than the previous version (VEMD8080) and maintains the same package dimensions. This provides a drop-in replacement thereby improving performance by increasing signal output or extending battery life by reducing LED current. When placed between two pulsing green LEDs, this PIN photodiode is used for optical heart rate detection fitness trackers and smartwatches.
The light reflected off the skin is received by the photodiode and converted to an output current and the device’s increased sensitivity ensures accurate measurements. The rectangular shape of the device maximizes the area of the photodiode receiving reflected light, eliminating the wasted area typically found in square photodiodes. When combined with red and infrared emitters, the device is ideal for SpO2 measurement in medical monitors.
Using the company’s proven wafer technology, the VEMD8081 can detect visible and near-infrared radiation over a wide spectral range from 350 nm to 1100 nm. For high sampling rates, the device offers fast switching times and low capacitance of 50 pF. It features a ± 65° angle of half-sensitivity, operating temperature range of -40 °C to +85 °C, and 840 nm wavelength of peak sensitivity.
RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green, this new photodiode provides a moisture sensitivity level (MSL) of 3 in accordance with J-STD-020 for a floor life of 168 hours. Samples and production quantities of the VEMD8081 are available with lead times of 10 weeks.
Features of VEMD8081Silicon PIN Photodiode
- Enhanced sensitivity to visible and infrared light
- Rectangular 4.8 mm by 2.5 mm top-view, surface-mount package with a low 0.48 mm profile
- Typical reverse light current of 33 µA
- Radiant-sensitive area measuring 5.4 mm²
- Wide spectral range from 350 nm to 1100 nm
- Fast switching times and low capacitance of 50 pF enable high sampling rates
- ± 65° angle of half-sensitivity
- Temperature range of -40 °C to +85 °C
- 840nm wavelength of peak sensitivity
- RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green
- Moisture sensitivity level (MSL) of 3 in accordance with J-STD-020 for a floor life of 168 hours
Note: More technical information can be found in the VEMD8081 PIN Photodiode datasheet linked at the bottom of this page and on the VEMD8081 PIN Photodiode product page.
We will never spam you.
Be a part of our ever growing community.