AIS2IH: Three-Axis MEMS Accelerometer for High-Performance Automotive in Telematics and Emerging Applications
AIS2IH, a three-axis linear accelerometer from STMicroelectronics brings enhanced resolution, temperature stability, and mechanical robustness to non-safety automotive applications such as anti-theft, telematics, infotainment, tilt/inclination measurement, and vehicle navigation. The new device offers market-leading reliability and high-performance motion sensing at a wide operating temperature range of -40°C to +115°C.
The device offers five different operating modes, including one high-performance mode (HPM) and four low-power modes (LPM) and features ultra-low power consumption in a compact LGA-12 land grid array package. The high operating temperature range and enhanced performance allow the AIS2IH to address automotive applications such as digital drive recorders, driver monitoring, vertical level sensing in vehicle suspension, and door automation.
The new automotive accelerometer has user-selectable full scales of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g, and ±16g and it can measure accelerations with output data rates (ODR) configurable in the range from 1.6Hz to 1.6kHz. With a typical noise density of 90µg/√Hz in high-performance mode, the new device can operate on 3V, 110μA operating current in HPM, and on 0.67μA in LPM at 1.6Hz.
All the above features make the AIS2IH sensor also suitable for industrial IoT (IIoT) applications such as 5G smart antennas as well as sensitive medical applications like pacemakers, which require ultra-low power consumption, compact size, and high resolution at uncompromised reliability. The AEC-Q100 qualified AIS2IH is sampling now in a 2mm x 2mm LGA package with wettable flanks. Pricing starts at $1.50 for orders of 1000 pieces.
Features of AIS2IH Sensor
- ±2g/±4g/±8g/±16g dynamically selectable full scales
- Low power consumption down to 110 µA in high-performance mode and 0.67 µA @ 1.6 Hz in low-power mode
- Very low noise: down to 90 µg/√(Hz) in high-performance mode
- Multiple operating modes with multiple bandwidths and resolution
- Single data conversion on demand
- High-speed I²C/SPI digital output interface
- 2 independent programmable interrupts
- Extended temperature range: -40 °C to 115 °C
- Supply voltage, 1.62 V to 3.6 V
- Independent IO supply
- Embedded temperature sensor
- 10000 g high shock survivability
Note: More technical information can be found in the AIS2IH Datasheet linked at the bottom of this page and on the product page of the AIS2IH MEMS Accelerometer.