RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Motor Driver ICs for Simplifying BLDC Motor Control Design in Battery-Powered Applications
Renesas Electronics Corporation has introduced RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 motor drive ICs that deliver improved low-speed or high-speed rotation and high torque control at a smaller board space and reduced solution cost. The new system-in-package (SiP) solutions were designed to simplify brushless DC (BLDC) motor control design for a wide range of battery-powered applications such as power tools, drones, water pumps, vacuums, cleaning robots, fans, and other systems.
With an integrated RL78/G1F microcontroller (MCU) and pre-driver in an 8x8mm QFN package, both the single package motor control ICs can control three-phase BLDC motors used in a wide range of battery-powered devices. The fully integrated SiP factor allows the users to reduce up to 30 external components eventually reducing the area of the device up to 50% with low control system costs.
Designed with a self-aligned dead time(SADT) the new ICs prevent the shoot through and offer adjustable pre-driver output current capacity up to 500mA. This helps driving large-capacity MOSFETs making heat dissipation design easier and allows the MOSFETs to drive at the switching timing – reducing FET switching margin times to approximately 1/10 the time compared with conventional systems.
Features of RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Motor Control ICs
- Renesas MCU and pre-driver integrated into a single 8x8 mm QFN package, including a charge pump, linear regulators, current detection, programmable slew rate control, and BEMF detect circuitry for sensor-less operation
- High integration optimizes board space and reduces control system BOM costs
- Supports operating ranges from 6-30V (RAJ306001) and 6-42V (RAJ306010)
- SADT generator allows MOSFETs to run cooler while maintaining high efficiency
- Sensor-less motor control enables stable operation from low-speed to high-speed rotation and could eliminate the Hall ICs
- Integrated safety functions, including IEC 60730 safety standard support, can detect errors and halt the motor if an error occurred
Note: More technical information can be found in the RAJ306001 and RAJ306010 Datasheet linked at the bottom of this page and in the product pages of the RAJ306001 Motor Control IC and RAJ306010 Motor Control IC.