PI3USB9201 - USB BC 1.2 Compliant Battery Charging Detector IC to Simplify Host and Client Design
Diodes Incorporated has announced a dual-role PI3USB9201 USB 1.2 detector, which incorporates both host and client circuitry, enabling designers to optimize the BoM size, and cost of USB Type-C interface circuitry in electronic devices such as laptops, tablets, smartphones, drones, and small home appliances. Unlike current market solutions that require devices dedicated to either host or client mode, the PI3USB9201 enables the developers to fully support the reversible and bidirectional flexibility of the USB type-c interface with a single chip.
Features of PI3USB9201:
- Enables both host and client circuitry
- Reversible and bidirectional flexibility of the USB Type-c
- Uses 1MHz, I2C interface in reporting detection results in both the client and host mode
- Uses 4-pin selectable slave address to avoid conflict between bus
- Uses SDP, CDP, and DCP when configured as a host
- Monitors the D+/D- pins to detect the host type in client mode
- Permits system wakeup via mouse or keyboard using USB switch pass-through in host mode
- Supports supply-voltage range of 2.7V to 5.5
- Low power consumption- 200microAmp active and less than in 1microAmp Shutdown
- Operates in battery-powered equipment, and energy-saving sub-1microAmp in shutdown mode
- Dimensions 2mm x 2mm 12-pin QFN package.
Note: More technical details on PI3USB9201 can be found in the datasheet linked at the bottom of this page.
When configured as a host, the PI3USB9201 broadcasts the device status as a standard downstream port (SDP), charging downstream port (CDP), or dedicated charging port (DCP) via the USB D+/D- pins, in accordance with BC 1.2. As a client, the PI3USB9201 monitors the D+/D- pins to detect the attached host type. PI3USB9201 supports differential pass-through USB switches, and it uses USB switch pass-through in host mode, which permits system wakeup via mouse or keyboard. A wide supply voltage range of 2.7V to 5.5V, ensuring dependable operation in battery-powered equipment and energy-saving sub-1µA current in shutdown mode. For more information on PI3USB9201, visit the product page on the official website.