nPM1300 - New Power Management IC for Advanced Wearables and Portable Electronics
Nordic Semiconductor has announced the upcoming release of the nPM1300, a new Power Management IC (PMIC) set to be released in mid-2023. The nPM1300 will expand the company's PMIC offerings by adding support for both charging of larger batteries and four regulated power rails. It will be optimized for efficiency and compact size, measuring 3.1 x 2.4 mm WL-CSP or 5 x 5 mm QFN. The PMIC will be digitally configurable through an I2C-compatible Two Wire Interface (TWI), providing access to various system management functions that are typically implemented as discrete components in Bluetooth Low Energy embedded designs.
The nPM1300 is designed for use with Nordic's nRF52 and nRF53 Series advanced wireless multiprotocol Systems-on-Chip (SoCs). It is intended for advanced IoT products, such as advanced wearables and portable medical devices. The PMIC includes features such as USB port detection, dynamic power path management, voltage and temperature monitoring, and ultra-low current hibernate mode. It also includes three LED drivers and five GPIOs that can be repurposed as control lines for time-critical functions.
nPM1300 PMIC Features
- Compact size of 3.1 x 2.4 mm WL-CSP or 5 x 5 mm QFN
- Digitally configurable through I2C-compatible Two Wire Interface (TWI)
- Provides access to various system management functions
- Designed for use with Nordic's nRF52 and nRF53 Series advanced wireless multiprotocol Systems-on-Chip
- Operates from an external power supply of 4.0 to 5.5 V and can function with battery voltages down to 2.4 V
- Charges single-cell Li-ion, Li-Pol, and LiFePO4 batteries with a linear charging module that supports up to 800 mA charge current
- Features automatic thermal regulation with programmable maximum chip temperature during charging
- Suitable Four regulated power rails and a battery charger
The PMIC will be available for lead customers now and will be generally available in Q3 2023.